Women Who Survive Boko Haram Still Face Neglect, Abuse – Amnesty
The Nigerian authorities are continuing to fail thousands of women who fled Boko Haram controlled areas, almost a year after an Amnesty International investigation revealed patterns of abuse by the security forces, the organization said on International Women’s Day.
Many of these women still struggle to access food and other basic items in camps for internally displaced persons and are restricted from leaving. Those who speak up about their ordeal face harassment from government officials, particularly the Borno State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA.
The combination of movement restrictions and lack of assistance leaves them at increased risk of sexual exploitation by members of the security forces, present in and around the camps.
“It is unacceptable that women who survived the brutal reign of Boko Haram are still being denied their rights. We have long documented that women are being made to exchange sex for food and livelihood opportunities by members of the security forces just to survive and feed their children,” said Osai Ojigho, Director of Amnesty International Nigeria.
“Last year we issued a report which documented patterns of rape, starvation and arbitrary detention by the security forces, but the government and military shamefully dismissed the findings. A follow-up with the survivors shows they are on the verge of losing hope of ever getting justice, with previous promises of investigation leading nowhere. However, they will not give up.”
“We are also calling on the senate of National Assembly to fulfil its pledge to investigate concerns raised in our report “They Betrayed Us” so that survivors can get justice” said Osai Ojigho.
Recent investigation by Amnesty International shows that some of the women confined to camps in the Borno state capital of Maiduguri still have no access to adequate food assistance, and are battling with hunger and malnutrition.
In many cases, their situation is made more precarious by the ongoing detention of male family members; thousands of men were arbitrarily detained or subjected to enforced disappearance as they fled intensified fighting from late 2015 onwards. Many of these women do not know whether their husbands are dead or alive.
“The arbitrary detention by security forces of what may still amount to thousands of men is unlawful under international human rights law,” said Osai Ojigho.
“The failure by the authorities to provide a mechanism for family members of detainees to obtain information on the whereabouts and well being of their relatives, and the denial of information to those who approached the military for information, has caused mental suffering that constitutes ill-treatment under international human rights law.”
Amnesty International is also calling on authorities to investigate credible allegations of rampant corruption made by those affected at internally displaced persons camps.
There were protests at the Shettima Ali Monguno and Teachers Village camps in Maiduguri in February over lack of food, ill-treatment and corruption.
“The Boko Haram conflict forced thousands of women to live in squalid conditions in internally displaced persons camps. It is the responsibility of the Nigerian authorities to protect them and bring to justice all those suspected of exploiting them.”
* You will receive the latest news and updates on your favorite celebrities!
Singer Monica Poses Naked In New Picture
American singer Monica teased her fans and followers with almost naked picture. The beautiful star shared this picture, posing topless…
I Have Not Been Sacked As Senator – Ifeanyi Ubah
Ifeanyi Ubah says he has not been sacked as the lawmaker representing Anambra South senatorial district. Ubah, in a telephone…
Zamfara Bandits Kill 31 In Fresh Attacks, Steal Food
There were concerns in Zamfara State on Thursday about the amnesty the state government granted bandits following the killing of…