President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, has condemned the continuous killings of Nigerians in South Africa, warning that the government will no longer tolerate further attacks on its citizens.
He expressed concern that no fewer than 118 Nigerians have so far been killed in xenophobic attacks over the years, of which the South African Police perpetrated 13.
Lawan made the assertions when he hosted the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria, Mr. Bobby Moroe yesterday in Abuja.
Moroe and his delegation visited the Senate leadership on his government’s investigations to unravel the causes of xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and steps being taken to stop it.
The Senate President disclosed that the meeting became pertinent considering the incessant attacks on Nigerians residing in South Africa, adding: “We in the Parliament must speak up to prevent any further killings.
“The killings must stop. This is the era of social media where the corpse of a victim may spark violence that may go beyond the government’s control.”
Lawan restated that the South African government should do whatever it takes to protect the lives and property of Nigerians living in that country, just as the Nigerian government would remain committed to the safety of South Africans residing in Nigeria and their investments.
“I believe we have faced enough, we will no longer take it anymore. We want to write the names of Nigerians killed, and the South African parliament must act fast to put a stop to this menace.
“Over the years, 118 Nigerians have been killed, while 13 of them were killed by South African Police”.
He recalled Nigeria’s enormous contributions to South Africa during the Apartheid rule, adding: “We must establish events that led to the killings, including Mrs. Elizabeth Chukwu, who was killed recently in her hotel room.”
Nigeria, he insisted, would no longer condone such killings, urging the South African government to, as a matter of responsibility, protect Nigerians residing there.
Responding, Moroe who lamented the killings of Nigerians, extended his country’s condolences to families of the victims, saying an inquest had been instituted to investigate all cases of xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.
The inquest, he said, would reveal the cause of the menace and find solutions across the board, saying the commitment of the South African government and its law enforcement agencies were committed to unraveling the root of the matter and prosecute perpetrators of the attacks.
Meanwhile, the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has announced plans to embark on massive picketing and protest against all South African businesses in Nigeria.
It has also asked all South African business interests in Nigeria to relocate their businesses to their country.
NANS President Comrade Danielson Akpan, who disclosed this yesterday in Abuja after its emergency executive meeting, said the only way to stop further killings of Nigerians in that country was to picket its business entities in Nigeria.
Amosun, 3000 others defect to PDP in Ogun
Over three thousand members of the Alliance for New Nigeria (ANN) in Ogun State have defected to the People’s Democratic Party(PDP), ahead of the Local Government elections expected to be conducted in the state next year and subsequent general elections in 2023.
The defectors led by the House of Representatives candidate of the ANN for Abeokuta South Federal Constituency, Akeem Amosun, in the last general elections, said that they elected to move to PDP to form a vibrant and formidable opposition in the Gateway State.
The former ANN members were received into PDP family on Thursday evening by former House of Representatives member; Hon. Ladi Adebutu and PDP chieftain, Sikurullai Ogundele.
Akeem Amosun told reporters that the decision to moving from ANN to PDP would help him realize his political aspiration.
Adebutu welcomed the defectors, saying that the coalition became necessary as recent elections held in the country are being militarized.
Bad People Have Taken Over The Country From Us – Aisha Buhari
Aisha said this on Thursday during a phone-in interview on Television Continental (TVC)’s ‘Journalists Hangout’ programme.
She said it is unacceptable that those who should be in control of the government have remained mute, while some persons are using the social media to bring down the government.
She said fake news has caused her some distress particularly when the president was rumoured to have died, and when he was said to be taking a second wife.
“I didn’t take it seriously because even my husband didn’t know what was happening,” she said of the rumoured marriage.
“Both of us didn’t know what was happening; they just decided to bombard social media with it. They are now taking to social media to bring down the government itself.
“I think that we should not allow people that are nothing to override the innocent; I don’t know why people that are supposed to be in charge should remain mute while bad people take over the country from us. It is impossible and totally unacceptable.”
Aisha also accused presidential aides and other government officials of ignoring issues they should respond to and focusing on things that the presidency has no business in.
“Whenever they (presidential aides) are supposed to take action against the offenders, or to take action or to take charge or be in control, or caution people, they keep mute,” she said.
“But when it comes to unnecessary things, people will start talking of the presidency. A typical example is what happened after the election in Bayelsa state. When the PDP came out and said they would … suspend His Excellency, Goodluck Jonathan, the former president, for doing wrong or something like that.
“I have seen no reason why (the) presidency should come out and say that they were shocked to hear that. Is it their business? Are they PDP members? Is president Jonathan a member of our party? What does that have to do with the presidency?”
Omoyele Sowore Has Been Rearrested By DSS
DSS finally re-arrests Omoyele Sowore after chasing judge out of the courtroom with gun.
He has been taken to the headquarters of the DSS.
Operatives of the Department of State Services on Friday morning disrupted the ongoing trial of activists Omoyele Sowore and Olawale Bakare, attempting to rearrest the two men, who were only released from its detention on Thursday evening.
The DSS operatives also chased away the presiding judge, Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu while also brutalising a journalist with a popular television station.
There is currently an ongoing standoff inside the court premises as the DSS operatives are refusing to allow Sowore and his lawyers come out of the place.
Amosun, 3000 others defect to PDP in Ogun
Nairobi governor arrested over corruption scandal
Beautiful new photos of actress Biodun Okeowo and her son
These ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
The final 6 ‘Game of Thrones’ episodes might feel like a full season
The old and New Edition cast comes together to perform
Entertainment4 days ago
Whitney Houston’s secret sadness and life she hid from the public
Religion4 days ago
Jerry Kumuyi, Pastor Kumuyi’s Son Confesses About His Salvation
Politics3 days ago
Bode George Appeals To Foreign Nations Not To Lend Any Money To Buhari
Events3 weeks ago
Chris Brown, Drake, Lizzo among top winners at the Soul Train Awards 2019…See full list of winners
Events3 weeks ago
Nigerian Celebs Storm One Africa Music Festival Welcome Party In Dubai
Events2 weeks ago
2019 Future Awards: Full list of winners
Events3 weeks ago
Photos from Annie Idibia’s 35th birthday party in Dubai
Sport4 days ago
Jose Mourinho Offered £12m To Leave Tottenham Job