Connect with us

News

US warns China not to ‘exploit’ virus for sea disputes

Published

on

The United States on Monday warned China not to take advantage of the coronavirus pandemic to exert itself in the South China Sea after Vietnam said Beijing sank a trawler.

Amid the global focus on fighting COVID-19, China has ramped up self-described research stations and landed special military aircraft in the dispute-rife sea, according to the State Department.

“We call on the PRC to remain focused on supporting international efforts to combat the global pandemic, and to stop exploiting the distraction or vulnerability of other states to expand its unlawful claims in the South China Sea,” State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said in a statement.

Vietnam said last week that it lodged a protest with Beijing after the Chinese Coast Guard “hindered, rammed and sunk” a Vietnamese boat with eight fishermen on board near the Paracel Islands.

Vietnam — which, like China and Taiwan, claims sovereignty over the Paracel Islands — called in a foreign ministry statement for Beijing to compensate the fishermen, “strictly discipline” the officers responsible and prevent similar occurrences in the future.

The United States said it was “seriously concerned” about the episode.

“This incident is the latest in a long string of PRC actions to assert unlawful maritime claims and disadvantage its Southeast Asian neighbors in the South China Sea,” Ortagus said.

The United States, which has a growing relationship with Vietnam, has challenged China’s claims in the South China Sea — one of the world’s busiest waterways and also home to bountiful energy reserves.

China last month accused the United States of a “provocative” act after saying that the USS McCampbell missile destroyer sailed near the Paracel Islands without Beijing’s permission.

Tensions have risen sharply in recent years between China and the United States, which has also alleged that Beijing has not promptly controlled SARS-CoV-2, the virus that has now infected more than one million people around the world.

News

Pakistani Man Buys Land On Moon As Wedding Gift For His Wife (Photos)

Published

on

By

A Pakistani man, inspired by late Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput, bought an acre of land on the moon as a wedding gift for his wife.

Rawalpindi: “Love you to the moon and back” is not just a saying for a Pakistani man anymore who has bought a one-acre plot of land on the moon as a wedding gift for his wife.

Sohaib Ahmed, a resident of Rawalpindi, bought the lunar land in the region called ‘Sea of Vapour’. The land was bought for $45 from the International Lunar Lands Registry.

Ahmed said that he was inspired by late Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput to buy the piece of land on the moon. The land bought by Sushant in 2018 is part of a region called Mare Muscoviense, or the ‘Sea of Muscovy’.

Several celebrities including Tom Cruise and Shah Rukh Khan own land on the moon.

Ahmed’s wife Madiha said that her friends did not believe her when she told them about her unique wedding gift. “At first everyone thought it was a joke, but then I showed them the documents and then they believed it,” she told Samaa TV. She added that one of her friends also wants her fiancé to gift her a plot of land on the moon for their wedding.

The couple received the documents of the land on the moon at their home via US Postal Service.

Earlier, a Bihar businessman bought an acre of land on the moon after getting inspired by Rajput. Neeraj Kumar, a resident of Bodh Gaya, said that the cost of the land was not much, however, the process was difficult. He had contacted the US society ‘Luna Society International’ and applied for one acre of land in October 2019.

“I had given around Rs. 48,000 at that time… money was converted from Indian rupees to dollars. After a lot of online paperwork, I got a message on July 4, 2020, that my deed had been completed,” Kumar had told ANI.

Continue Reading

News

“It’s An Attack On The Erection Industry” – Reuben Abati Replies Ghana Police Commander On Sex Rounds

Published

on

By

“It’s an attack on the erection industry!” – Dr. @abati1990 on the Ghanaian Police Commander’s advice that officials should reduce their involvement in “sexual activities” ahead of the country’s general election. � #TrendingWithOjyOkpe @OjyOkpe #TheMorningShow

Continue Reading

News

‘Reduce Your Sex Rounds’ — Ghanaian Police Officer Advises Personnel

Published

on

By

Afful Boakye-Yiadom, the Accra region commander of Ghana Police Service (GPS), has enjoined officials of the agency to reduce their involvement in sexual activities ahead of the country’s general elections.

Boakye-Yiadom addressed the officials during a route march held by the police service to reiterate its readiness for the elections.

The Accra police commander said the measure alongside intake of good diet would enable them to discharge their duties effectively before, during and after the polls.

“Control yourself, we all need the energy to work during the election I, therefore, advise all of you to eat well, reduce your sexual rounds for you to get the energy to work well before, during and after 2020 elections,” he said.

Boakye-Yiadom also urged the police officers to desist from partisan politics at the polls.

According to him, this would enable them to maintain neutrality which is essential to their professional conduct during the election.

Ghana will hold its general elections on December 7.

Nana Akufo-Addo, the country’s incumbent president, is seeking re-election under the platform of the New Patriotic Party (NPP).

He will be challenging John Mahama, a former president and candidate of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), to secure another term in office.

Continue Reading

Trending