Connect with us

News

Trump Issues Orders Banning TikTok And Wechat From Operating In The US In 45 Days

Published

on

President Donald Trump on Thursday issued executive orders that would ban the social media app TikTok and WeChat from operating in the US in 45 days if they are not sold by their Chinese-owned parent companies.

The orders, which use similar language, do not state that a certain amount of money from the sale needs to be sent to the US Treasury Department, which the President has been insisting on for several days.

The order regarding TikTok prohibits after 45 days “any transaction by any person, or with respect to any property, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, with ByteDance Ltd.,” the Chinese company that owns the social media platform.

The move turns up the pressure on negotiations over the popular video app’s future through a potential sale. The dramatic back and forth began when Trump said last Friday night that he would ban TikTok from operating in the United States using emergency economic powers or an executive order.

Microsoft said Sunday that it was pushing forward with talks to acquire the app following a conversation between CEO Satya Nadella and the President. On Monday, Trump set September 15 as the deadline for TikTok to find a US buyer. Failing to do so, he said, would lead him to shut down the app in the country. In an unusual declaration, Trump also said any deal would have to include a “substantial amount of money” coming to the US Treasury.

Thursday’s order alleges that TikTok “automatically captures vast swaths of information from its users,” such as location data and browsing and search histories, which “threatens to allow the Chinese Communist Party access to Americans’ personal and proprietary information — potentially allowing China to track the locations of Federal employees and contractors, build dossiers of personal information for blackmail, and conduct corporate espionage.”

Shortly after issuing the order regarding TikTok, Trump issued a similar order for WeChat, an group chat app owned by Tencent, a Chinese based company.

For WeChat, which allows its users to transfer funds to each other, the order states it will ban financial transactions with Tencent. The order states “any transaction that is related to WeChat by any person, or with respect to any property, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, with Tencent Holdings Ltd. (a.k.a. Téngxùn Kònggǔ Yǒuxiàn Gōngsī), Shenzhen, China, or any subsidiary of that entity, as identified by the Secretary of Commerce (Secretary) under section 1(c) of this order.”

National security concerns have long fueled policymakers’ reservations surrounding the apps. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told reporters last week at the White House that the US government was conducting a national security review of TikTok and was preparing to make a policy recommendation to Trump.

Prior to Trump’s threatened ban last Friday, people working on the issue within the Trump administration expected the President to sign an order to force ByteDance to sell the US operations of TikTok, according to a person familiar with the matter, in a move aimed at resolving policymakers’ concerns that the foreign-owned TikTok may be a national security risk.

The order also claims that the platform censors or disseminates content in keeping with the Chinese Communist Party’s agenda, citing “when TikTok videos spread debunked conspiracy theories about the origins of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus.”

Many of TikTok’s fans have panicked over the app’s uncertain future. After Trump’s threat last Friday, TikTok users across the US began livestreaming and posting videos in tribute to what they feared was the end of the app. Others were strategizing ways to get around a ban, including by trying to trick servers to make it look like they’re browsing from a different country where TikTok is allowed to operate.

And TikTok has said it remains committed to its large American user base.

“TikTok is loved by 100 million Americans because it is a home for entertainment, self-expression, and connection,” company spokesperson Josh Gartner said in a statement. “TikTok will be here for many years to come.”

The President’s threat to shut down the platform also comes a month after a stunt organized mainly through TikTok may have led to a sparsely-attended Trump campaign rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In the days leading up to the June 20 rally, a coordinated effort was underway on TikTok encouraging people to register online for the free event and not show up.

News

Bandits kill Army colonel, two soldiers in Katsina

Published

on

By

A Nigerian Army colonel, M.Z Manu and two soldiers have been killed by bandits in Unguwar Doka Village under Faskari Local Government Area of Katsina State.

It was gathered that the bandits, armed with AK-47 rifles invaded the villages on Thursday night and started shooting indiscriminately. In the process, the gallant officer, soldiers and some civilians were killed.

The acting Director, Defence Media Operations, Brig. General Benard Onyeuko, who confirmed the incident in a statement issued to journalists at the Special Army Super Camp IV Faskari, said troops of Operation Sahel Sanity responded to a distress call on September 24, 2020 that bandits attacked Unguwar Doka Village and swiftly mobilised to the area where they cleared the bandits.

During the encounter, troops neutralised 21 bandits while others escaped with gunshot into the forest as evident by the trails of blood along the criminals’ escape route.

 

The statement disclosed that the soldiers rescued three kidnapped victims, including an eight-month-old baby who had been in captivity for more than 23 days and recovered one AK-47 and three motorcycles from the fleeing hoodlums.

 

“Regrettably, resulting from the encounter with the bandits, one gallant officer and two soldiers paid the supreme sacrifice while two other soldiers were wounded in action and are currently receiving medical treatment in a military medical facility and responding positively,” said Onyeuko.

“The fearless troops have continued to pursue the bandits into the forest and dominating the general areas with aggressive fighting patrols to deny them any respite.” he added.

 

Meanwhile, the burial activities of Colonel Manu will hold today at army HQ, Zaria, Kaduna state.

 

Bandits kill Army colonel, two soldiers in Katsina

 

Continue Reading

News

Kanu Signs Up For Simba TVS

Published

on

By

Nigerian soccer legend, Kanu Nwankwo, was yesterday, unveiled as an ambassador for Simba TVS, distributors of Nigeria’s leading brands in the tricycle, motorcycle and power bike Sector.

 

Kanu said “I have the singular honour and privilege of endorsing and recommending their products. They are number one in their areas of business. Their quality and after sales service policy is demonstrated in their Workshops pan Nigeria”.  Simba TVS places strong emphasis on empowerment, and runs specific programs targeted at women, youths, welfare for the mechanics and rider communities.

 

Mr Mahendra Pratap,  Simba TVS – Business Head in Nigeria,  said “we are honored and humbled that, Kanu Nwankwo, is endorsing TVS King Tricycles and motorcycles, emphasizing that the two-time African player of the year embodied  their brand’s core values of Trust, Value and Service  “through his dedication to this great nation.

 

Kanu?Signs Up For?Simba?TVS

 

Group Head- Marketing -Simba Group, Mr KarthikGovindarajan, Simba’s association with Kanu Nwankwore presents one more step in the Group’s ongoing efforts at deepening their relationship with Nigerian football.

“As the official motorcycle and tricycle of the Super Eagles, Kanu’s endorsement is an inspiration in Simba TVS’s commitment to customer service and empowerment.

 

Continue Reading

News

Judicial workers to begin strike Monday

Published

on

By

Staff of the Federal High Court across the country have announced plans of engaging in a two-week strike from Monday September 28, 2020.

 

The judicial workers under the aegies of Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria (JUSUN) revealed that they are engaging in the strike in line with the industrial action planned by the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) over the increased prices of electricity and petroleum products.

 

The notice read;

 

“Please be informed that the Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria (JUSUN), Federal High Court chapter shall, in collaboration with the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC), commences a two-week indefinite strike action from Monday the 28th day of September 2020.

“All offices shall remain closed within this period. You are required to comply.”

Continue Reading

Trending