Thursday, March 4

Tag: Zabarmari community

Buhari reacts to Zabarmari massacre, says the Armed Forces have been given the marching order to take the fight to the insurgents
Politics

Buhari reacts to Zabarmari massacre, says the Armed Forces have been given the marching order to take the fight to the insurgents

President Muhammadu Buhari has again reacted to the killing of 43 rice farmers by Boko Haram insurgents in Zabarmari community of Borno state.   The Nigerian President in a statement released on Monday November 30, said the Armed Forces have been given the marching order to take the fight to the insurgents, not on a one-off, but on a continuous basis.   Buhari who described the massacre by Boko Haram in Zabarmari as senseless, barbaric, gruesome and cowardly, added that the federal government will be intensifying its cooperation with neighbouring countries on bilateral and multilateral levels, to ensure that there is no hiding place for the terrorists.   The statement read;   Nothing is more important than ensuring the security of lives and pro...
UN Withdraws Claim That 110 Farmers Died In Borno Boko Haram Attack
News

UN Withdraws Claim That 110 Farmers Died In Borno Boko Haram Attack

The United Nations on Monday recanted an earlier claim that 110 farmers were killed by suspected Boko Haram insurgents in Zabarmari community, Borno State. Local media had published a report on Saturday quoting officials of the Borno State government saying at least 43 farmers lost their lives in an attack by insurgents on a rice field. On Sunday, the Borno governor, Babagana Zulum, had during a mass burial of the deceased farmers, told journalists that 43 farmers were killed. Later on Sunday evening, the UN issued a statement which quoted the head of the UN System in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, saying that at least 110 farmers were killed in the said attack. The UN version of the death toll from Koshobe rice field went viral. In the initial UN statement, signed by Eve Sabba...
Governor Zulum Recommends the Use of Mercenaries to Defeat Boko Haram
Politics

Governor Zulum Recommends the Use of Mercenaries to Defeat Boko Haram

The Governor of Borno State, Babagana Zulum, has recommended the recruitment of foreign mercenaries by the federal government to help in ending the Boko Haram war. The previous Goodluck Jonathan administration utilised foreign mercenaries, including South Africans, against Boko Haram; mainly in the build-up to the 2015 general elections. The mercenaries are believed to have contributed to the successes the military recorded in the few weeks leading to the 2015 general election. The Buhari administration, however, jettisoned the use of mercenaries, promising to equip and empower the Nigerian military to defeat the insurgents. Mr Zulum made his suggestion when he received a federal government delegation that visited the state to commiserate with the people of Borno over the Saturda...
“Boko Haram Killed 43 People” – John Enenche Counters United Nations’ Claim Of 110 Farmers Killed In Borno
Politics

“Boko Haram Killed 43 People” – John Enenche Counters United Nations’ Claim Of 110 Farmers Killed In Borno

Nigerian Defence Headquarters' Director of Information, Maj. Gen. John Eneche has countered the United Nations' claim of 110 people being killed over the weekend in Borno. It was reported earlier that United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon said no fewer than 110 farmers were killed in Saturday, November 28 attack on rice farms in Zabarmari community in Borno state. Reacting to this in an interview on Channels Television today November 30, Eneche stated that what the military have so far counted with the locals is 43 bodies. He noted that the military is still searching for dead bodies, while also admitting that some people ran into the bush during the attack. He added that while there is a possibility of the death toll rising, he is however hopeful t...
Boko Haram Still Existing Strongly In Borno – Governor Zulum
Politics

Boko Haram Still Existing Strongly In Borno – Governor Zulum

Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno State on Sunday admitted that the dreaded Boko Haram sect are still existing strongly in many parts of the state especially in the Sambisa Forest, River Fringes of Koshobe and Lake Chad Basin posing threats to over 6 million people in the state. Zulum spoke after he attended the mass burial of rice farmers/fishermen slaughtered on Saturday in Koshobe in broad daylight at Zabarmari community in which, 44 corpses have been recovered by security operatives and volunteers, while other corpses are still not recovered in the Bush of Koshobe village, with scores missing at press time. Koshobe, located north-east, an agrarian community under Jere Local Government Area, where most Hausas engaged in farming and fishing is about 25km drive from Maiduguri, th...