Saturday, March 6

Tag: John Enenche

We Have Weakened Boko Haram – Defence Headquaters
News

We Have Weakened Boko Haram – Defence Headquaters

The defence headquarters says Boko Haram insurgents are “weakened enemies” of the country and no longer have “sovereignty or authority” on any territory in the country. John Enenche, defence spokesman, stated this on Friday while speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today. To commemorate the armed forces remembrance day, the presidency had said Boko Haram insurgents are weaker compared to 2015. “Boko Haram is much weaker today than in 2015, as attested to by the governor of Borno state on December 6, 2020,” Femi Adesina, presidentiaal spokesman, had said in a statement. Affirming the stance of the presidency, Eneche said as of 2015, Boko Haram had between 17 and 20 local government areas under its control. He said but those territories were recaptured under the lea...
“Boko Haram Killed 43 People” – John Enenche Counters United Nations’ Claim Of 110 Farmers Killed In Borno
Politics

“Boko Haram Killed 43 People” – John Enenche Counters United Nations’ Claim Of 110 Farmers Killed In Borno

Nigerian Defence Headquarters' Director of Information, Maj. Gen. John Eneche has countered the United Nations' claim of 110 people being killed over the weekend in Borno. It was reported earlier that United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon said no fewer than 110 farmers were killed in Saturday, November 28 attack on rice farms in Zabarmari community in Borno state. Reacting to this in an interview on Channels Television today November 30, Eneche stated that what the military have so far counted with the locals is 43 bodies. He noted that the military is still searching for dead bodies, while also admitting that some people ran into the bush during the attack. He added that while there is a possibility of the death toll rising, he is however hopeful t...
Soldiers didn’t kill four people and dump their bodies inside pond in Jos – DHQ
News

Soldiers didn’t kill four people and dump their bodies inside pond in Jos – DHQ

The Defence Headquarters has debunked media reports of soldiers killing four people and dumping their bodies in a pond in Jos during a clampdown on looters of private properties in the state.   Coordinator of Defence Media Operations, John Enenche who described the report as malicious and mischievous in a statement released on Saturday October 31, said the soldiers attached to the Special Task Force (STF), Operation Safe Haven (OPSH) only arrested hoodlums who attempted to loot the residence of the former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara on October 25.   Eneche said;   “Consequently, troops of the STF, OPSH, which are saddled with the responsibility of maintaining peace and tranquillity in Plateau State and environs were immediately de...
Captured Boko Haram Insurgents are Quarantined and Given Face Masks – Defence Headquarters
News

Captured Boko Haram Insurgents are Quarantined and Given Face Masks – Defence Headquarters

The Nigerian Defence Headquarters has shared some of the measures it has instituted to curb the spread of Coronavirus in the fight against terrorism. Speaking at a media briefing in Abuja, Coordinator of defence media operations, John Enenche said captured Boko Haram members are provided with face masks and also quarantined to curb the spread of Coronavirus. Eneche said;   “The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way everything will be done. “We have ordered for PPE for troops at the frontlines. “The moment they (Boko Haram members) are captured, they are quarantined and given face masks while observing social distancing too. “Captured or surrendered enemies are treated in line with the Geneva Convention. COVID-19 has changed the way things are done at the front...
Defence Headquarters Confirms Death of two Nigerian Soldiers and 3 Boko Haram Members in Ambush
News

Defence Headquarters Confirms Death of two Nigerian Soldiers and 3 Boko Haram Members in Ambush

The Nigerian Defence Headquarters has disclosed that two soldiers were killed in an ambush lauched against troops by Boko Haram insurgents on Sunday May 17. The Coordinator of Defence Media Operations, John Enenche said three members of the terrorist group were also killed in the ambush which occurred when troops of Combat Team 1, Operation Kantana Jimlan were on patrol along Buni Yadi – Buni Gari axis of Yobe State. Eneche said soldiers encountered multiple Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and a Boko Haram ambush which occurred eight kilometres ahead of Buni-Gari in Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe. He further revealed that three soldiers sustained injuries as a result of the IED explosion. The Defence Headquarters spokesperson added; “Three terrorists were neutralis...
Nigerian Troops Kill 134 Boko Haram, ISWAP Fighters in Nigeria
News

Nigerian Troops Kill 134 Boko Haram, ISWAP Fighters in Nigeria

Nigeria has killed 134 members of the Boko Haram and Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) terrorist organizations.. Nigeria’s defence ministry spokesman, John Enenche, told reporters on Monday that the Boko Haram fighters were killed in Operation Kantana Jimlan, which was launched on May 1 in the country’s northeast. ISWAP is a splinter group of Boko Haram. He said 78 of those killed were members of ISWAP and 56 were Boko Haram members, adding that Nigerian troops arrested 16 informants of the fighters as the country aims to eradicate both armed groups from its territory. Lots of ammunition was also seized during the operation, he said.
We Don’t Have Power To Arrest Hate Campaigners – DHQ
News

We Don’t Have Power To Arrest Hate Campaigners – DHQ

The Defence authorities have denied the claim that the military is monitoring hate campaigners with the aim of arresting them, saying it does not have the powers to arrest Nigerians for such infraction. The Director of Defence Information, Maj. Gen. John Enenche, who said this while featuring on Sunrise Daily on Channels Television on Wednesday, added that the military had no information about where Boko Haram insurgents were keeping the remaining Chibok girls. He explained that the military would only monitor the social media to sheave out information that could be useful for the planning of its operations. When asked to respond to the accusation that the military was planning to arrest hate campaigners, he said, “There was nothing like that. We do not have power to arrest people...
Nigerian Military Blames Homeless For Botched Air Strike
News

Nigerian Military Blames Homeless For Botched Air Strike

Nigeria’s military on Friday blamed an unexpected gathering of homeless people for a botched air strike that killed 112 at a camp for those displaced by the Boko Haram conflict. Air force jets hit the camp in Rann, northeast Nigeria, on January 17 as aid workers distributed food to internally displaced people (IDPs) living in makeshift shelters. Commanders at the time called the bombing a mistake and blamed “the fog of war”. A Nigerian Air Force board of inquiry had been due to report in early February on the strike, which also injured nearly 100 people, many of them women and children. Defence spokesman Major General John Enenche gave no explanation for the six-month delay in revealing its findings. But in a brief statement he blamed “lack of appropriate marking of the area...
Boko Haram Sacks Military Base, Kills Soldiers, Seizes Arms
News

Boko Haram Sacks Military Base, Kills Soldiers, Seizes Arms

Nigerian troops fighting the extremist Boko Haram sect have suffered major setbacks, with the terror group sacking an army battalion, killing eight soldiers and wounding 11 others in two separate attacks in three days, reliable military insiders have told PREMIUM TIMES. The army formations involved in the incidents also lost several arms and ammunition, and are calling for urgent restocking of their armouries, our sources said. The first incident, involving troops deployed at the Forward Operating Base in Sabon Gari, Borno State, occurred at about 6 p.m. on Monday when over 200 Boko Haram terrorists on motorcycles suddenly descended on the base. The terrorists, according to those familiar with the incidents, had five gun trucks on which twin barrel artillery guns were mounted. The ...
Boko Haram: Why Troops Were Refusing To Go To Battle Front – DHQ
News

Boko Haram: Why Troops Were Refusing To Go To Battle Front – DHQ

ABUJA-THE Defence Headquarters, yesterday, said the initial recalcitrant moves by military troops to go to battle front against Boko Haram terrorists in the North East were due to strong media propaganda deployed by the terrorists which had portrayed them as winning the battle against the military. In an apparent reference to when the terrorists took control of a large portion of the country in the face of heavily military deployment in the region, the Defence Headquarters, which regretted that troops were reluctant facing the terrorists, attributed strong media control of the enemy group to the development. The new Director of Information, Defence Headquarters, Major General John Enenche, said this at a media chat with Defence Correspondents,in Abuja. To this end, he charged the media ...
John Enenche Now Military Spokesman
News

John Enenche Now Military Spokesman

Idoma-born Major General John Enenche has been appointed as the new Director Defence information. Gen. Enenche would be replacing Brigadier General Rabe Abubakar who is now the Director of Information Management in the Department of Civil Military Affairs, Army Headquarters. Few months back, he was elevated to the rank of a Major General from Brigadier. Until his appointment as the new Defence Spokesman, Major General Enenche was the Defence Liaison Officer at the Defence Headquarters. He has since taken over with effect from 6 March 2017. Gen. Enenche is the elder brother of Dr. Paul Enenche of Dunamis and also the son of the paramount ruler of Ogbadibo LGA of Benue State, Chief D Enenche.