R. Kelly’s bail has been set at $1 million by a judge, on charges the singer sexually abused four females from 1998 to 2010.

Under the terms of his bond, Kelly must surrender his passport and may not have contact with anyone under 18. His next court appearance is set for Monday.

R. Kelly's bail at $1 million in sexual abuse case lailasnews

In the indictment against Kelly obtained by Rolling Stone, the singer has been accused of “sexual penetration” of multiple women “at least 13 years of age but under 17 years of age.” The age of consent in Illinois is 17 years old.

Judge John Lyke Jr., who oversaw the bail hearing for Empire actor Jussie Smollett earlier in the week, set the $1 million bail, or $250,000 for each of the four women involved in the charges against Kelly. The singer needs to put up $100,000 to bond out prior to his trial.

R. Kelly’s lawyer reportedly said the singer’s finances are a mess, so he can’t bond out just yet. However, a source close to Kelly revealed he’ll be able to gather up $100k soon and post bail. If he does, he’ll be released from jail ahead of his trial.

Cook County District Attorney Kim Foxx just gave more details of the alleged sex crimes to the press outside the courtroom, and says 2 of the 4 alleged victims turned in physical evidence to prosecutors.

Avenatti also spoke to reporters and started by blasting R. Kelly’s lawyer, Steven Greenberg. Avenatti says Greenberg has referred to all of the alleged victims as “liars” and insists the new sex tape is the same as the one from 2008, which Avenatti says is a lie.

He also claims R. Kelly’s handlers were at the courthouse to keep Azriel Clary’s parents away from her and believes Azriel has been brainwashed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*