Tuesday, November 24

Only 34% Of Sexually Active Nigerians Use Condoms – Survey

With just hours before this year’s Valentine’s day, a new survey has shown that only 34 per cent of Nigerians use condoms for sex. The survey which was carried out by NOIpolls was titled ‘Condom accessibility and use in Nigeria’.

The National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA) and AIDS HealthCare Foundation (AHF) also took part in the survey. The survey was released to mark the International Condom Day (ICD), which is observed annually on February 13 through Valentine’s Day, February 14, to promote safer sex awareness, by encouraging people to use condoms.

The results of the survey were announced by the Executive Director of NOIpolls, Chike Nwangwu. He said though 83 per cent of Nigerians believe that condoms should be used, only 34 per cent agree that they actually use condoms.

“The findings showed that 92 per cent of Nigerians know about condoms, while 62 per cent perceive that condom is used for sexual pleasure, which is the measure that comes to their mind when they see or hear about condom. “82 per cent of Nigerians find it easy to purchase condom, 10 per cent find it fairly easy, which makes it a total of 92 per cent, who find it easy to purchase a condom,” he said.

The survey also found that 26% of Nigerians use condoms to protect against STDs. Mr Nwangwu said the survey was done using questionnaires and was translated into the four major Nigeria languages; Pidgin, Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *