Connect with us

Sport

I Will Decide When I Want To Leave Arsenal, Not Other People – Ozil

Published

on

Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil says he will stay with the club “through to the last day” of his contract in June 2021.

The former Germany international, 31, has not played since the Premier League resumed in June, with manager Mikel Arteta citing “pure football reasons”.

But Ozil dismissed reports the club were looking to pay up the last year of his £350,000-a-week deal.

“Things have been difficult but I love Arsenal,” he told the Athletic. “I’ll decide when I go, not other people.”

“I’ll give everything I have for this club,” Ozil added. “Situations like these will never break me, they only make me stronger. I showed in the past that I can come back into the team and I will show it again.”

Ozil, who joined Arsenal in a £42.4m move from Real Madrid in 2013, fell out of favour under previous manager Unai Emery before returning to the side under interim boss Freddie Ljungberg.

After Arteta’s appointment in December, Ozil started all 10 of Arsenal’s Premier League games immediately before the coronavirus pandemic forced a three-month suspension of the Premier League in March, but has not featured in their past 13 matches in all competitions.

Despite Arteta and his first-team players accepting a 12.5% pay cut in April, Arsenal announced they plan to make 55 staff redundant because of the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

Ozil opted against a pay cut because the players were “rushed” and believes “possibly the decision affected my chances on the pitch”.

While he respects Arteta’s decision to leave him out, Ozil believes he should have been given a chance to show what he can do on the pitch, saying: “You don’t play 10 games in a row if you’re unfit, not good enough or don’t behave well.”

He added that he was “not the only player who rejected the cut in the end, but only my name came out”.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Striker Suarez departs Barcelona for Atletico Madrid

Published

on

By

Atletico Madrid have completed the signing of striker Luis Suarez from La Liga rivals Barcelona.

The 33 year old Uruguay international signed a two-year contract with the club on Friday after passing his medical.

The 33-year-old joined Barca from Liverpool in 2014, winning the Champions League title in his first season in Spain.

Continue Reading

Sport

Zidane’s son Enzo set to join African giants Wydad Casablanca

Published

on

By

The 25-year-old midfielder looks poised continue his development with the Stade Mohammed V outfit
Enzo Zidane, the eldest son of Real Madrid legend and manager Zinedine Zidane, is hoping to join Botola Pro 1 side Wydad Casablanca, according to his agent Roberto Carlos.

The midfielder played for Juventus, Liceo Frances, San Jose before joining the Blancos youth team in 2004 and spent 10 years in the academy.

Zidane featured for Real Madrid teams C and B, before he made his first-team debut in 2016 in a Copa del Rey clash against Cultural Leonesa.

Continue Reading

Sport

‘We have just 13 players fit!’ – Guardiola ready to use Man City’s academy players

Published

on

By

The Spanish coach admits the club are short on numbers and he his eager to tap into their talented youth system

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has declared the club only have 13 fit players as he looks to giving their academy players a chance to step up.

A youthful City side beat Bournemouth 2-1 on Thursday in the Carabao Cup with 17-year-old Liam Delap opening the scoring on debut.

Phil Foden set up the opener for Guardiola’s side before sealing the game with a goal of his own in the 75th minute.

Continue Reading

Trending