The repentant youths, aged between 18 and 25, laid down their arms, which included machetes, clubs, Dane guns and jack knives, among others, at a ceremony held at the police command headquarters in Bauchi.
Speaking at the ceremony, the state Commissioner of Police, Habu Sani, attributed the feat to the intense pressure put on the gang members as well as the command’s awareness campaigns and jingles on the ills and negative consequences of drug abuse and other crimes.
He said, “Over 500 Sara Suka thugs have surrendered and renounced these acts of criminality in the state. It is worth noting that most of the youth engaged in Sara Suka thuggery are creative and have a lot of potential in life if their current situation is well managed.”
According to him, the command opted for the carrot and stick approach by offering the youth an opportunity to turn a new leaf.
He explained that 294 of the repentant youths were skilled in various trades, 31 were students, while 170 were unskilled.
“Over 500 suspected criminals were arrested in connection with Sara Suka thuggery, armed robbery, kidnapping and other violent crimes. A large cache of arms, ammunition and other dangerous weapons was equally recovered from them between the months of May and July 2019,” Sani stated.
He appealed to the state government and non-governmental organisations to assist in the rehabilitation of the repentant youths.
The Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, who was represented by the Chief of Staff, Government House, Abubakar Kari, promised his administration’s commitment to improving the quality of life of the residents of the state.
Immigration Service Ban 150 Nigerians From Traveling Abroad
The Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) says no fewer than 150 Nigerians were disallowed from travelling out of the country in the last four months in the fight against human trafficking.
Mr Abdullahi Usman, the Comptroller in charge of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Lagos, made this known to newsmen, while receiving the management of Access Bank at the airport.
According to Usman, those refused departure were within the range age of 16 to 40 years.
“They were sensitised on the reasons for their refusal and most of them were satisfied,” NAN quoted him as saying.
“We told them that if they had gone, it would have been a disaster for them. We also ensure they were profiled at the same venue where the returnees were being kept.
“They witnessed the returnees and it became very clear to them. Most of them were innocent of where they are going to, while some of them knew.
“When we came, we introduced anti-human trafficking to look basically into human tracking issues,” he said.
The comptroller said that no fewer than 58, 000 visas were issued from January to Dec. 5 on arrival to foreigners who arrived through the MMIA in Lagos.
He said that most of the beneficiaries were investors coming into the country.
He said the visa-on-arrival procedure was targeted at investors coming into Nigeria to do business as part of the Ease of Doing Business policy of the Federal Government.
“We have upgraded our visa on arrival from email-based to web-based to improve our services.
“Applicants can now log into the website and fill in their details and also get their approvals directly from there instead of using a third party which was what we were doing before because they have to send a representative here to process it.
“So, the increase in the issuance is to ease procedure and encourage more investors to come into the country to invest,’’ Usman said.
On airport operations, he said that the new Migration Information and Data Analysis System (MIDAS), had been installed at the airport.
He said that this was to enable immigration and border officials to process travellers more rapidly and professionally and as well make their border-crossing experience safer and more humane.
Forbes Africa Names Akinwumi A. Adesina African Of The Year
Nigerian Customs Warns Applicants Over Fake List
The attention of the Nigeria Customs Service has again been drawn to the unrepentant activities of internet fraudsters despite several scam alerts by NCS.
Recent activities of these elements show criminal ingenuity, presenting fake platforms that appears seemingly genuine to deceive and extort unsuspecting applicants that the Service has released short-listed names for recruitment examination/interview.
For the umpteenth time, NCS wishes to state that these recruitment websites/platforms are fake and should not be patronized.
Members of the public will recall that we denied several similar fake vacancies advertisement with a promise to properly inform the public whenever we are ready. A promise we kept by advertising the vacancies in seven (7) National newspapers.
NCS is again warning against patronage of any release of short-listed candidates with a promise of letting successfully short-listed candidates know through their email addresses and telephone numbers soon.
Additionally, such official release will be news item in all NCS programmes on TV and Radio stations. (Note that the internet fraudsters don’t normally use the TV and Radio).
Accordingly, all applicants are advised to disregard any invitation for recruitment examination/interview and wait patiently for the official release and invitation from the Service, please.
DC, Joseph Attah
Public Relations Officer
David Beckham is seen parked illegally and using a phone weeks after completing driving ban
Kim Kardashian and Kanye West ‘will make it to the White House’ in Presidency bid
Woman ‘cut up and remains thrown in bins by convicted drug dealer she met online’
These ’90s fashion trends are making a comeback in 2017
The final 6 ‘Game of Thrones’ episodes might feel like a full season
According to Dior Couture, this taboo fashion accessory is back
Entertainment3 days ago
Whitney Houston’s secret sadness and life she hid from the public
Religion4 days ago
Jerry Kumuyi, Pastor Kumuyi’s Son Confesses About His Salvation
Politics3 days ago
Bode George Appeals To Foreign Nations Not To Lend Any Money To Buhari
Events3 weeks ago
Chris Brown, Drake, Lizzo among top winners at the Soul Train Awards 2019…See full list of winners
Sport3 days ago
Jose Mourinho Offered £12m To Leave Tottenham Job
Events3 weeks ago
Nigerian Celebs Storm One Africa Music Festival Welcome Party In Dubai
Events2 weeks ago
2019 Future Awards: Full list of winners
Events3 weeks ago
Photos from Annie Idibia’s 35th birthday party in Dubai