Connect with us

News

Trump Evacuated From Press Briefing Due To Shooting Outside The White House

Published

on

President Donald Trump was escorted from his daily coronavirus news briefing at the White House on Monday, later saying a shooting had occurred just outside the White House.

Just as the president was delivering his opening remarks to his usual briefing, a Secret Service agent approached the president and told him to leave the briefing room. Trump unhurriedly followed the agent out, and the White House quickly shut down its live stream of the briefing.

Just a few minutes later, Trump returned to the briefing room, saying there had been a shooting outside the White House. The president said the Secret Service shot someone who was then taken to a hospital. Trump didn’t have any details on the shooting except that the person was armed.

“There was a shooting outside of the White House and it seems to be very well under control,” he said. “I’d like to thank the Secret Service for doing their always quick and very effective work.”

Trump said he was taken to the Oval Office and that he had high confidence in the Secret Service. He appeared unfazed on returning to the briefing room and said he wasn’t perturbed by the episode.

“Do I look rattled?” Trump replied to a reporter’s question.

Ever since protests started springing up in front of the White House earlier this summer, Secret Service agents have constructed heavy barriers around the White House grounds. The building, which is normally easily within view from multiple points open to the public, is now surrounded by layers of fencing and walls.

When asked whether he felt concerned that someone could engage in a gunfight so close to the White House in spite of the barriers, Trump said the episode was “relatively far away“ and dismissed the notion that the person had breached anything.

The Secret Service did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

News

Nigerian Army colonel dies after Boko Haram ambush in Borno

Published

on

By

A Nigerian Army colonel has died after an ambush by Boko Haram terrorists in Borno State.

 

Colonel DC Bako and some soldiers were attacked, on Sunday, September 20, when their vehicle was ambushed near Damboa, about 85 kilometres from Maiduguri, the state capital. He was until his death the commander of 25 Task Force Brigade in Damboa

 

Spokesman of the Nigeria Army, Sagir Musa, who confirmed the death in a statement on Monday September 21, said the colonel died in a military hospital where he was receiving treatment after the ambush.

 

“Operation LAFIYA DOLE wishes to intimate the general public of the demise of one of our gallant and finest war heroes Col DC Bako,”

”It could be recalled that the professional, gallant senior officer who always led from the front and a patriotic Nigerian, led a patrol to clear Boko Haram Terrorits from Sabon Gari-Wajiroko axis near Damboa when his patrol team entered an ambush at about 10 a.m Sunday 20 September 2020. Under his able leadership, the troops cleared the ambush resulting to the killing of scores of terrorists and recovery of weapons and equipment.

”Sadly however, he was wounded in action and immediately evacuated by the Air Task Force Operation LAFIYA DOLE to the 7 Division Hospital at Maimalari Cantonment. The late senior officer was recuperating well after successful operation at the hospital, in good spirit and also said his prayers in the early hours of this morning before his sad passing at the hospital. May Almighty Allah grant his soul eternal rest. Ameen.

”The Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen TY Buratai on behalf of himself, gallant troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE and indeed well meaning Nigerians hereby express his heartfelt condolences to his esteemed family. We are most grateful for his contributions and sacrifices to the motherland.

”May God grant eternal rest to the gentle soul of Col DC Bako and the souls of all Nigerian Army officers and soldiers who paid the supreme prize in the defence of our father land.” the statement reads.

 

Nigerian Army colonel dies after Boko Haram ambush in Borno Nigerian Army colonel dies after Boko Haram ambush in Borno Nigerian Army colonel dies after Boko Haram ambush in Borno Nigerian Army colonel dies after Boko Haram ambush in Borno

Continue Reading

News

Overcrowded Burial: Thousands Bid Emir Of Zazzau Farewell ( Video)

Published

on

By

After 45 years on the throne, light dimmed yesterday for Emir Zazzau Alhaji Shehu Idris, who passed on at 84.

Thousands of people converged on the palace at Zaria to pay their last respects as the remains of perhaps, the longest serving emir, were interred beside the tomb of some of the past emirs.

Prayers for the repose of the soul of the 18th Emir of Zazzau, were attended by Chief of Staff to the President, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, who led the presidential delegation. Other members are: Minister of Aviation, Senator Hadi Sirika and Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu.

Governor Nasir El-Rufai led the Kaduna State delegation which included Secretary to State Government, Balarabe Lawal-Abbas, Speaker Yusuf Zailani and heads of military and paramilitary formations and institutions in the State.

The demise of the Emir threw the entire people of the emirate into tears and mourning, as the remains of the late paramount ruler arrived the Palace from Kaduna at about 2.45pm.
The palace that was filled to capacity by friends, relatives and well-wishers who patiently waited till evening.

Also at the palace was the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, and heads of military and paramilitary formations in the state.

The Waziri of Zazzau, Malam Ibrahim Muhammad, had earlier confirmed the demise of the 18th Emir of Zazzau, who until his death, was the Chairman, Kaduna State Council of Chiefs in Zaria..

The Emir died at the 44 Army Reference Hospital, Kaduna in the early hours of yesterday.
Aminu Shehu Idris, son of the Emir, said his father passed on after a protracted illness.
According to Aminu, his late father had been battling with an undisclosed ailment for a decade “until this morning when death snatched him away.”

The late monarch left behind four wives, many children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
The governor said: “We have lost a rare gem, a source of wisdom and guidance and a true father of all. May Allah Grant his soul abode in Aljanna Firdaus. Amin.”

Continue Reading

News

Osinbajo Welcomes First Granchild As His Daughter, Oludamilola Gives Birth

Published

on

By

 

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo and his wife, Dolapo, are now grandparents as their daughter, Oluwadamilola and her husband, Oluseun Bakare, have welcomed their first child, a baby boy.

Oluwadamilola and Oluseun welcomed their baby boy today September 21.

Yemi Osinbajo announced the news on Twitter. He wrote:

”All glory to GOD! I am now a grand dad! My daughter, Oludamilola and her husband Oluseun became parents to a wonderful baby boy this morning!”

Continue Reading

Trending